27 Feb 2013

Treadmill Pyramid Intervals


A while ago Triathlete Europe tweeted about how to make the most out of your treadmill workout. One workout they suggested was a form of pyramid intervals, in the format of 1-2-3-2-1-1-2-3-2-1 with equal rest inbetween, and that's the workout I decided to do today.

I started with a 6 minute long warm up and then I kicked off my intervals. The article suggested the pace should be 'hard' so I cranked the speed up to 14.5 kilometres per hour, or 4.07 minutes per kilometre. The first minute was fine ('Is it already over?! Oh!') and during the first rest I did question if the rest really should be as long as the previous interval but during the 3rd interval at a, for me, high speed I definitely started to agreee with the length of the rest.The first five intervals felt pretty good and the last five weren't too bad either (at least not in restrospect....) but I had to work to complete the session and focus on a good technique towards the end of the intervals. I finished off the session with a few progressive kilometres and by the time I was done I was suitably tired and sweaty.

After my running I did 3x200metres front crawl, focusing on technique, and although swimming still isn't my forte I did notice that I have become a better swimmer in the last few months (even if it doesn't feel like it!). Maybe there is hope, after all...

No comments:

Post a Comment