29 Dec 2012

Keep going!

I am not going to lie to you...I was running on pretty knackered legs today. It was over a week ago since I last had a rest day and I was still sporting a pretty impressive soreness in my glutes from Thursday's body pump session when I went to the gym this morning for another pump session. By the time we had finished the lunge track my legs were shaking and the thought of a 7 mile run home in the rain and wind wasn't very appealing, but for me a plan is a plan - and unless you puke, faint or die, you keep going I know that I can manage a 7 mile run in my sleep, and there is no way my legs were exhausted enough not to carry me back to east London. I put on my new Craft running jacket (thanks mum and dad!), plugged in my headphones and off I went. The legs were pretty stiff and it was clear that I wasn't going to set a personal best but somewhere halfway up Pentonville road it all felt a bit easier, the wind felt less violent and the rain not as heavy. I let the legs decide the speed and focused on a 'nice' feeling and all of a sudden I crossed Regent's Canal/Mile End park and I was home - and my running app showed that I hadn't been as slow as I thought. It might not have been the most high quality 7 miles I have run, but it was a good mental exercise. Like my old PE teacher used to say when we ran laps: 'When you think you're getting tired, you're only just getting started - and if you can still laugh, you can do 10 more!'

No comments:

Post a Comment